Monday, December 10, 2012

Welcome to Our Home.....

Simple, became my word for this year's decorating plan....due to circumstances I found it hard to get into the mood.  We have been traveling for work this year like crazy, when we were home we worked long hours hand dyeing and a week ago we had a death in the family.  I found myself moving very slowly and thoughtfully decided what to put out.

Once the front of the house was done I figured that the foyer would be a bit easier.....I really wanted this house because of the two story foyer, I could imagine it decked out for Christmas immediately.  This year I figured I would simplify, less is more (not my usual motto) so first I tackled the top of the bookcase, removed the vintage hat boxes and hats, replaced them with birdhouses and a cement cardinal from the porch.  A bit of fresh greenery and some cotton bolls, this is the south after all. 

Okay, finally humming along.....well not for long.  It took me 2 1/2 days to finish the stair railings.  Unbelievable!  First problem, the strands of clear mini lights were burned out.  Never think your going to find replacements after December 1st in our area, my dear hubby went to 8 stores before finding any....think I better not complain about his patience level for awhile.  As I wrapped the garlands, I was planning ahead when BAM!.....one strand burned out....he volunteered to exchange them in the morning.  Next day, take three.....third time is a charm....you know all the sayings....actually got all the lights up, went to process online orders, figuring I would do the rest of the work later.  All of a sudden we heard a horrible howl from the first floor, as we ran to check on the source of the noise, we find our newest member of the family sitting, looking a bit off.....it was then that I noticed something was amiss....yup....the lights were burned out.  Guess who had chewed through the strands, guilty party had a bit of electric shock therapy.  She looks pretty innocent, doesn't she?  I went and bought two boxes.

I decided that all I had "patience" for was the addition of some fresh greenery, pine cones, cotton bolls and a couple of bells.  Next year the newel post may get a bow...at least that's my current threat.
                                                       
I love handmade, one of kind things especially in my decorations and collections, you will notice them throughout the house.  Enjoy the remainder of the foyer.

Hope you return to see the other rooms....

No comments:

Post a Comment