Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Keeping it Simple is Hard.....

I meant to blog yesterday, but sort of got side tracked making Christmas cards which I think turned out pretty well.  Now I just need to get them into the mail.
Today I'd like to show off the kitchen where I really tried to stay with my decorating plan for keeping it simple, using many everyday items.  This corner is a good example I changed out the usual vintage postcards on the birdcage with holiday ones and hung a vintage wooden measuring ruler which was manipulated into a star.  I did take down a plate and hung the snowman, which is a hand painted slate roof tile....just love it.  Opening up the vintage green picnic tin gave me a spot to add some subtle holiday color with a tree and Granny Smith apples.
  

Over the years we have collected vintage kitchen glass and utensils many of them are red and green.  By adding old fashioned peppermint candy cane chunks to the green glass ware adds a pop of holiday color.  Unused ornaments added here and there also add a bit of holiday cheer.  Even the handles of the utensils displayed on the green table add holiday color yet they are part of my every day decorating.
Next decorating the eating area was quick and easy, red placements, holiday dishes and a simple center piece brightens the corner.


Finally I just had to pull out a couple of my snowmen, and two is not too many considering I have a fairly large collection of them.  I think it's because they bring back wonderful childhood memories.

Come back for a peek at our family room and design studio/dining room.....

No comments:

Post a Comment